John Jorrocks, Esqre. [graphic] : M.S.H. &c. &c. &c. &c. : "a citizen of credit and renown" / drawn & etched by H. Alken.
- London : Published by R. Ackermann, at his Eclipse Sporting Gallery, 191 Regent St., 1843.
- Physical Description:
- 1 print : aquatint ; 23 x 14 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR5499.S4 J67 1843a Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR5499.S4 J67 1843a Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- The print was likely intended to serve as frontspiece to the second edition of Jorrocks jaunts and jollities (Ackermann, 1843); but the edition was published without it, perhaps owing to the artist's delay in producing the plate.
Snelgrove, D. British sporting and animal prints, p. 19
Schwerdt, C. Hunting, hawking, shooting, II, p. 237
BAC: British Art Center copy is hand-colored. Armorial bookplate: R.N.H. Moore Stevens. Embossed label: The Sporting Gallery (Middleburg, Virginia).
A depiction of John Jorrocks (from Robert Surtees' Jorrocks jaunts and jollities), returned from a run with the hounds, seated fireside.
- Subject Terms:
- Sporting prints.Surtees, Robert Smith, 1805-1864. Jorrock's jaunts and jollities -- Illustrations.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1843.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.