Kent Argus (Ramsgate, England), "Kent Argus" office specimen types, [approximately 1896]
"Kent Argus" office specimen types.
- [Ramsgate] : [Kent Argus], [approximately 1896]
- Physical Description:
- 54 leaves : illustrations ; 22 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsIn Process Z232.K46 K46 1896Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- BAC: British Art Center copy bound in original gilt-stamped purple cloth. With the bookplate of the printing collection of Michael Davies.
Specimens of news and jobbing types. Each leaf printed on one side only, and including four leaves mounted on stubs, one leaf partially printed in color.
Provincial type specimen catalog from the Kent Argus printing firm in Ramsgate, Kent. Possibly a display copy to be shown to prospective customers, rather than to be sent out, the volume contains 26 leaves of specimens of news and jobbing types with the remainder devoted to pictorial and decorative borders and woodcuts. The two large folding sheets at the rear of the work illustrate ecclesiastical types, and then two large attractive steamships. The catalog contains a wealth of different typefaces, and a number of striking illustrations appropriate for all occasions and publication, such as letterheads to advertisements. The specimens range from the serious to the light-hearted, though clearly aimed at those in business wishing to advertise and adorn promotional literature. The volume reflects the strong nautical influence of Ramsgate; in addition to the two steamships illustrated, another image depicts a stranded sailor, being kept afloat by a buoyancy aid. Two printing presses are also illustrated, with an appealing image of a typesetter at work. It seems almost certain that it was issued by the offices of the Kent Argus Newspaper, which had a circulation of large parts of East Kent. Kent Argus also appears to be responsible for a weekly journal published aboard the S.S. Kent, ca. 1876-1877, as the ship voyaged from London to Melbourne.
- Subject Terms:
- Kent Argus (Ramsgate, England)Printers -- England.Printers' ornaments -- England.Printing -- England.Type and type-founding -- England.
- Type specimens.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.