The ghosts of my friends / arranged by Cecil Henland, compiler of The mind of a friend, The book of butterflies, The book of the hostess, The Christmas book, Hand o' graphs, The bridge companion.
- London : Dow & Lester, Foresters' Hall Place, E.C.1, [approximately 1920]
- Physical Description:
-  leaves : illustration ; 17 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsZ42.H46 G46 1920Yale Center for British Art, Friends of British Art FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- "Directions: Sign your name along the fold of the paper with a full pen of ink, and then double the page over without using blotting paper."--Leaf 1.
Cecil Henland (wife of Lieut. Col. Arthur Percival) was the compiler of a number of keepsakes, such as the present item, in the early 20th century.
BAC: British Art Center copy includes 8 signatures (or ghosts), each apparently put to paper on December 26, 1920. The remaining leaves are blank. Bound in publisher's original gilt-stamped black leather.
Includes 48 leaves (blank, except for lines on which to enter "Date" at top, and "Name" at bottom), each of which bears a vertical fold. When a signature is written along this crease, and the leaf folded in half while the ink is still wet, the mirrored signature combines with the original (both often smudged) to create "ghost"-ly figures with bilateral symmetry.
- Subject Terms:
- Autograph albums.Dow & Lester -- Publisher.Signatures (Writing)
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.