IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Crompton, Henrietta Matilda, 1793-1881, Sketches of Lynmouth, Bath and Clifton, approximately 1834-approximately 1849
Sketches of Lynmouth, Bath and Clifton.
- England, approximately 1834-approximately 1849.
- Physical Description:
- 1 volume (39 drawings) ; 21 x 31 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2010 22aYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- The Cromptons were a wealthy banking family at Esholt Hall, Yorkshire. Upon the death of Joshua Crompton in 1832, Henrietta Matilda Crompton (1793-1881) and her eight siblings each inherited the considerable sum of £11,000. Henrietta never married and spent a comfortable life making excursions to Yorkshire coastal resorts, visiting friends in the country, and occasionally taking longer trips to various "picturesque" parts of Britain and Europe. Typically, for a young woman of her class, Henrietta was educated at home by governesses and private tutors, receiving instruction in French, music, dancing, and drawing. She was particularly talented in drawing and continued to take lessons throughout her long life, from renowned artists Copley Fielding and David Cox, among others. A detailed account of her life and works is available in Letters & papers of Henrietta Matilda Crompton & her family, a list with extracts, & The art of Henrietta Matilda Crompton ([Northallerton] : North Yorkshire County Record Office, 1994).
A label on the front cover is inscribed: "Lt. Col. Frederick Stand. Herries, Lynmouth & Lynton, 1834 Sir Wm. Herries' Cottage, also Bath & Clifton. Henrietta M. Crompton's sketches." A label on the back cover is inscribed: "Col Frederic S. Herries, 1878. Sketches of gent. Sir Willm. Herries beautiful cottage at Lynmouth, South Devon."
The front pastedown is inscribed: "Henrietta Matilda Crompton, Esholt Hall, Bradford, Yorkshire ... Micklegate, York ... 1834 1849" and "Scarbro [?] 1877. Col. Frederic Herries looked over these sketches of Lynmouth when [i.e. where?] his dear father & mother spent so many happy summers & he said he should value these sketches of mine therefore I Henrietta M.C. gave him this book. 1878 Augt. gave these sketches of a dear place where I spent so many happy summers with my dear son William & my beloved sister Mary F. Herries. Henrietta Matilda Crompton."
Two additional sketchbooks by Henrietta Matilda Crompton are present in the collections of the Yale Center for British Art: Henrietta Matilda Crompton sketchbook, 1826, August-September (Folio A 2009 92); North & south Devonshire, 1840 (Folio A 2010 22).
Bound in contemporary marbled boards, with later calf spine and corners.
Sketchbook by Henrietta Matilda Crompton, containing 39 drawings in various media, including graphite, ink and wash. The drawings primarily depict scenes in Lynmouth, Bath, and Clifton. Some place names are captioned with the drawing, in pen and ink; others are noted in graphite on the facing page.
- Subject Terms:
- Bath (England) -- Pictorial works.Bristol (England) -- Pictorial works.Clifton (Bristol, England) -- Pictorial works.Crompton, Henrietta Matilda, 1793-1881.Devon (England) -- Pictorial works.Herries, Frederick Stansfield, approximately 1833-1914.Herries, Mary Frances, approximately 1792-1866.Herries, William Lewis, approximately 1786-1857.Lyn River Valley (England) -- Pictorial works.Lynmouth (England) -- Pictorial works.Lynton (England) -- Pictorial works.
- Landscape drawings -- England -- Devon.
Travel sketches -- England -- Devon.
- [Unidentified church interior] Lynmouth
- Dunster Castle
- The Lynn flowing into the sea at Lynmouth
- Mouth of the Lynn
- Lynmouth Bridge
- The Lynn
- Lynton church & town
- Valley of Rocks Hotel, Lynmouth
- Mrs. Sanford's beautiful cottage, Lynton
- Road to Sir. W. Herries cottage, Lynmouth
- View from the window of Lady Herries bedroom
- Rocks on the shore of Lynmouth
- Castle Rock in the Valley of Rocks, Lynmouth
- The Twin Bridges, Lynmouth
- Watersmeet, Lynmouth
- Lynton [across facing pages]
- Near Lynmouth, Brendon Church, where Mr. Robt. Herries buried
- From Col. [illegible] grounds
- Sir W. Herries cottage, Lynmouth
- Clifton Downs
- 1834, Lyn flowing into the sea, gent. Randens tavern
- Lynmouth Bridge
- Rocks nr. Bath
- Chapter house, Bristol Cathedral
- Clifton [view of the uncompleted suspension bridge]
- Ashton Court
- [two stags]
- Fisherman on rainy day [a child's drawing]
- Castle Rock, Lynmouth, Sir Walter James
- [unidentified landscape] Sir Walter James
- [unidentified sketch] H. Herries.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.