Ornatus muliebris Anglicanus, or, The severall habits of English women : from the nobilitie. to the contry woman, as they are in these times, 1640.
- Additional Title(s):
Severall habits of English women, from the nobili:tie to the contry woman, as they are in these times
Several habits of English women, from the nobility to the country woman, as they are in these times
- London : Sold by H. Overton at the White Horse without Newgate, [not before 1707]
- Physical Description:
- , 26 leaves of plates : illustrations ; 26 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNE642.H7 A3 1707Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- At foot of title page: Wenceslaus Hollar, Bohemus, fecit Londini, ao. 1640.
"State iv must be later than 1707, the year in which John Overton set up his third son, Philip, in business. State v [the present state] may be a few years later when Philip's stock passed, apparently, to his brother Henry ..."--Pennington.
Several post 1640 states of these plates exist, each with a printseller named on the title page. The original 1640 state lacked a printseller's name. Henry Overton started in business in 1707.
Pennington, R. Descriptive catalog of the etched work of W. Hollar, 1778-1803A
STC (2nd ed.), 13599.5
"Advertisement. A set of the dresses & habits of foreign ladies & women done by the same hand & about the same time, but smaller, consising of 48 prints, very neat. Price 4 s."--Title page.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in quarter calf with marbled boards; rebacked. Bookplate: St. Andrew Ward, Esq. Hooton Pagnell.
- Subject Terms:
- Costume -- Great Britain.Costume -- History -- 17th century.Great Britain -- History -- Costume.Ward, St. Andrew -- Bookplate.Women -- Great Britain -- Clothing -- Early works to 1800.Women -- Great Britain -- Clothing -- Pictorial works -- Early works to 1800.
- Etchings -- 1707.
YCBA Collections Search
Hollar, Wenceslaus, 1607-1677, Ornatus muliebris Anglicanus, or, The severall habits of English women , [not before 1707]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.