Description of the process of manufacturing coal gas : for the lighting of streets, houses, and public buildings : with elevations, sections, and plans of the most improved sorts of apparatus now employed at the gas works in London, and the principal provincial towns of Great Britain : accompanied with comparative estimates, exhibiting the most economical mode of procuring this species of light : with seven plates / by Fredrick Accum, operative chemist ; lecturer on practical chemistry, on mineralogy, and on chemistry applied to the arts and manufactures, member of the Royal Irish Academy, fellow of the Limæan Society, Member of the Royal Academy of Sciences of Berlin, &c. &c.
- Additional Title(s):
Accum's Plans of the gas-works in London and other towns of Great Britain
Plans of the gas-works in London and other towns of Great Britain
- London : Printed for Thomas Boys, No. 7, Ludgate Hill. (From No. 3 Paternoster Row), MDCCXIX 
[London] : C. Green, printer, 15, Leicester Street, Leicester Square, 
- Physical Description:
- xv, , 334,  pages,  leaves of plates : illustrations ; 23 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsTH7910 .A233 1819Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Spine title, on publisher's original illustrated boards: Accum's Plans of the gas-works in London and other towns of Great Britain. With seven plates.
Accum entirely rewrote his 1815 Practical treatise on gas light in 1819 and published it under the above title.
With aquatint engravings by W. Read and Lowry (i.e., Wilson Lowry?); after drawings by Mulholland, G.H. Palmer, and Lowry.
Engraved title page with colored title-vignette, labeled "Plate 1" (of the seven listed on title page).
Publisher's list of the author's works, pages 335-336 (with directions to the binder also on page 336).
Includes bibliographical references and index.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original green pictorial paper covered boards.
- Subject Terms:
- Coal gasification plants.Gas manufacture and works -- Great Britain.Gas-lighting.Green, C. -- Printer.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1819.
YCBA Collections Search
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Accum, Friedrich Christian, 1769-1838, Description of the process of manufacturing coal gas , MDCCXIX 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.