Bulstrode, Christopher Stone, 1818-1894, [Drawing book], 1831-1832
- [Drawing book].
- [Hertfordshire, England], 1831-1832.
- Physical Description:
- 1 v. (14 drawings) ; 21 x 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsIn Process NC590 .B85 1831+ OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Drawings & Watercolors
- The artist is probably Christopher Stone Bulstrode (1818-1894), who would later become a cabinet-maker and upholsterer at Cambridge.
Student's drawing book, compiled by Christopher Bulstrode, who signs and dates the inner front cover (July 28th 1831). The volume contains 14 leaves of drawings, in graphite or pen and black ink, with one watercolor drawing. The young sketcher clearly saw himself as an artist. One drawing is a self-portrait, depicting a young man with paints and a portable easel on his back, along with a signboard reading "Lithographic Sketches by C. Bulstrode, 1832." This, and another drawing suggest a coastal location. Other drawings are of classical figure studies, copies from the antique, physiognomic observations, and landscape scenes. One country scene is identified as "Croxley Hall Farm," which is situated between Rickmansworth and Croxley Green in Hertfordshire.
Bound in contemporary marbled wrappers; rebacked.
- Subject Terms:
- Bulstrode, Christopher Stone, 1818-1894.Drawing -- Study and teaching.Figures (representations)Hertfordshire (England) -- Pictorial works.
- Graphite drawings.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.