Scott, Allan N. (Allan Newton), 1824-1870, Sketches in India , 1862
- Sketches in India : taken at Hyderabad and Secunderabad, in the Madras Presidency / by Captain Allan N. Scott, Madras Artillery ; edited by Charles Richard Weld, barrister-at-law.
- London : Lovell Reeve, 5, Henrietta Street, Covent Garden, 1862.
[London] : Printed by John Edward Taylor, Little Queen Street, Lincoln's Inn Fields, 
- Physical Description:
- 1 volume (various pagings) : 101 albumen prints ; 20 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDS486.H9 S36 1862Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "[Scott was an] early member of the Madras Photographic Society in the 1850s and a frequent exhibitor; a number of his photographs were also displayed at the London International Exhibition of 1862. His stereograms won the first prize at the Madras Photographic Society Exhibition of 1861, and 100 of these were later published in his Sketches in India ... (London, 1862)."--Falconer.
Frontispiece and illustrations are 101 albumen photographs, 3 x 3 inches each (top corners rounded), mounted on an embossed page. The photographs of Hyderabad and its peoples are among the earliest known.
Falconer, J. India: pioneering photographers, p. 140
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in later dark green morocco over calico cloth covered boards.
- 1 to 12. Scenery and antiquities at Golconda, near Hyderabad (Deccan) -- 13 to 19. Miscellaneous tombs and temples -- 20 to 34. Views at Hyderabad (Deccan), Secunderabad, and their vicinity -- 35 to 47. Sketches illustrating English life in India -- 48 to 100. Sketches of native character, portraits of noble-men, etc.
- Subject Terms:
- British -- India -- Pictorial works.Hyderabad (India) -- Pictorial works.India -- Description and travel.India -- Pictorial works.Photography -- India -- 19th century.Secunderābād (India) -- Pictorial works.
- Albumen prints.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.