A new drawing book engrav'd from the curious designs of that great master M. Poilly : very proper for all to draw after who are willing to excel in the noble arts of painting, engraving, &c.
- Additional Title(s):
New drawing book engraved from the curious designs of that great master M. Poilly
- London : Printed for & sold by J. King, printseller at the Globe in the Poultry, & by J. Clark, engraver & printseller in Gray's Inn, [approximately 1730]
- Physical Description:
- 11 leaves : illustrations ; 20 x 25 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC735 .N49 1730+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Plates 2-4 depict details of human anatomy, including eyes, mouths, ears, feet, and hands. Plates 5-7 depict cherubic figures, in various poses. Plates 8-10 depict the head of a young woman in a simple draped headdress; plate 11 a bearded man, also with simple head covering.
John Clark was active at Gray's Inn between 1726 and 1736. See: Worms, L. British map engravers.
The master Poilly, mentioned in the title, refers probably to Francois de Poilly (1623-1693), patriarch of a significant family of artists and engravers working in Paris.
Wholly engraved, including title page.
BAC: British Art Center copy stab-sewn, in contemporary ream wrapper, bearing an almost complete woodcut illustration (printed in red) of the arms of Amsterdam above the legend "Super fine paper." Inscribed on title page: Ben. Seeley. Inscribed on back cover: Buckingham.
- Subject Terms:
- Buckingham -- Autograph.Drawing -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Drawing -- Technique.Figure drawing -- Technique.Painting -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Painting -- Technique.Seeley, Ben. -- Autograph.Watercolor painting -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Watercolor painting -- Technique.
- Drawing books.
Handbooks and manuals.
Engravings -- 1730.
YCBA Collections Search
A new drawing book engrav'd from the curious designs of that great master M. Poilly , [approximately 1730]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.