London Irish painting, 2009
London Irish painting.
- Denham, Suffolk : Roseberry Crest ; 2009.
London : Irish World, 2009.
- Physical Description:
- 32 p. : col. ill. ; 21 x 24 cm.
- Reference LibraryN6789 .L65 2009 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- “The Irish World is delighted to sponsor the Quiet Men book, which we hope will bring a unique collection of paintings to a wider audience. The paintings examine the experience of Irish people who left Ireland for Britain in the 20th Century, and are as full of humour as they are pain. The Irish World continues to champion the talents of Irish men and women in all walks of life”--P. 3.
"Paintings of 'The Quiet Men' - five London Irish painters: Bernard Canavan, John Duffin, Dermot Holland, Brian Whelan and the late Daniel Carmody. 'The Quiet Men' is in reference to the remarkable fact that much of the UK's historical literature on immigration to England, Scotland and Wales neglects the significance of the Irish. This omission is reflected in the visual arts as well"--P. 5.
Exhibition held: PM gallery & House, The Quiet Men,10 March - 18 April 2009, London, Asociacion Galega de Arte e cultura, Tierras Celtas, 15-31 July, 2009, Santiago de Compostela, Galicia, Spain, [and] Villa Nova Art Gallery, September - October 2010, Villa Nova, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Subject Terms:
- Canavan, Bernard -- Exhibitions.Carmody, Daniel -- Exhibitions.Duffin, John, 1965- -- Exhibitions.Holland, Dermot -- Exhibitions.Ireland -- Emigration and immigration.Irish -- Great Britain -- History -- 20th century.Whelan, Brian, 1957- -- Exhibitions.