Hubert von Herkomer archive, 1862-1943.
- Physical Description:
- 21 linear feet
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsMSS 72 (In Process)Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Hans and Agnes PlateniusView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Archives & Manuscripts
- This collection is unprocessed and may not be available for immediate access.
The collection comprises correspondence, scrapbooks, photographs, prints, drawings, and publications concerning Hubert von Herkomer, and Herkomer's family.
- Subject Terms:
- Artists -- Great Britain.Herkomer Art School.Herkomer, Bertha, 1858-1943.Herkomer, Herman Gustave, 1862-1935.Herkomer, Hubert von, Sir, 1849-1914.Herkomer, John, 1821-1913.Herkomer, Lorenz, 1825-1888.Lee-Smith, Marianne.
Drawings (visual works)
- A. Paintings: 1. Woodland scene with rabbits, oil on canvas, by Hubert von Herkomer, 1862
- 2. Portrait (possibly self-portrait) oil sketch on panel (from envelop labeled "Herman")
- B. Prints, drawings, etc.: 5. "Hubert's etchings, drawings, etc." (scrapbook)
- 6. Drawings for wood carvings (folder)
- 7. "Father's book of designs (John Herkomer)" (scrapbook)
- 8. "John Herkomer portfolio" (portfolio, containing photographs of carved wood ornament)
- 9. Photographs, prints, and drawings by Hubert and Herman von Herkomer (portfolio)
- 10. "Bertha sketches" (scrapbook)
- 11. "Bertha's sketches" (portfolio)
- 12. "Marianne-Lee-Smith, 1890" (album, with drawings and photographs)
- 13. "H.G.H. 91" (unidentified portrait, pen and ink with blue crayon)
- C. Publications: 14. An idyl
- 15. My school and my gospel, 1907
- 16. Autobiography, 1890
- 17. Hubert von Herkomer, R.A., 1901
- 18. The Herkomers, 1910
- 19. The Herkomers, 1910
- 20. Various magazines, etc.: a. Monthly science news, no. 24, 1943
- b. The Strand magazine, May 1900
- c. Herkomer, by Ludwig Pietsch, 1901
- d. Sales catalogue: Elmhurst, April 1, 1920
- f. The Cornhill magazine, July 1898
- g. Annual report of the Herkomer School, 1900
- h. Landsberg am Lech, by Hermann Schmidt, 1929
- i. The exhibition of the Royal Academy, 1915
- j. Catalogue of paintings exhibited by Miss Eva Barwell
- k. Das Bayerluand, 1 July 1925 and 1 July 1930
- l. Die Kunst fur Alle, 1 October 1890.
- D. Manuscripts: correspondence: 21. Herkomer family correspondence
- 22. "Herkomer relatives and friends" (correspondence)
- 23. "Herman" (letters and other manuscripts)
- 24. "Hubert" (correspondence)
- 25. "Herman & Blanche" (correspondence)
- 26. "Bertha" (correspondence)
- 27-28. Misc. correspondence
- 29. Letter from Herman to Bertha.
- E. Other manuscripts, clippings, photographs, etc.: 30. MS autobiography of Lorenz Herkomer (in German)
- 31. Etched invitation from Herman Herkomer, with newspaper obit of Herman Herkomer, 6 November 1935
- 32. "Herkomer relatives and friends" (photographs)
- 33. "Hubert" (photographs)
- 34. Printed invitations from Herman Herkomer
- 35. "Clippings about Hubert and Herman" (scrapbook)
- 36. Call cards for Mr. and Mrs. John Herkomer
- 37-38. Newspaper clippings
- 39. Bertha's autograph album
- 40. "Photographs of some of Hubert's portraits"
Victorian Idyll (Yale Center for British Art, 2019-01-24 - 2019-04-21) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]