E. & S.R. Richards, Billheads recording clothing purchased by Robert W. Stevenson from E. & S.R. Richards, clothiers, London, 1891
Billheads recording clothing purchased by Robert W. Stevenson from E. & S.R. Richards, clothiers, London.
- London : E. & S.R. Richards, 1891.
- Physical Description:
- 2 sheets : illustration, 19 x 23 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsTT635 . R53 1891 BoxYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Archives & Manuscripts
- The engraved billhead, featuring an image of the royal arms of Great Britain, reads: "Bot. of E & S.R. Richards, clothiers, outfitters, woolen drapers, and contractors. 96 High Street, Islington Green, N., and 94, Strand, W.C. Terms cash. Established 1851." The words "juvenile clothiers" appear beneath the royal arms.
Completed in pen and black ink.
The first billhead includes a Penny Lilac tax stamp affixed at bottom.
Two billheads of E. & S.R. Richards, London clothier, recording purchases made by Robert W. Stevenson in 1891. The first records three purchases (on April 4, April 17, and May 31), in which Stevenson buys coats, trousers, and vests, totalling £14/9/0. Dated at top: "London, [June 30], 189." Richards records receipt of payment on Sept. 17, 1891. The second records one purchase (August), in which Stevenson purchases Angola trousers totalling £2/15/6. It is dated Oct. 8, 1891, and bears no receipt of payment.
- Subject Terms:
- Children's clothing -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Clothing and dress -- Great Britain.Clothing trade -- Great Britain.Drapery industry -- Great Britain.E. & S.R. Richards (Firm : London, England)Stevenson, Robert W., active 1881-1891.Woolen goods industry -- Great Britain.
- Engravings -- 1891.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.