[Billhead of Swaine, Alport & Lowthian, distillers, London, recording gin purchased by Thomas Tebbitt, 1828]
- Additional Title(s):
Bot. of Swaines, Alport & Lowthian
Bought of Swaines, Alport & Lowthian
- London : Swaines, Alport & Lowthian, 1828.
- Physical Description:
- 1 sheet : illustration, 11 x 22 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsEph Fo 26Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Archives & Manuscripts
- The engraved billhead, featuring a small image of a distillery furnace, reads: "Bot. of Swaines, Alport & Lowthian, distillers, No. 1, Holborn Bridge. Importers of foreign wines, brandy, rum, &c."
The engraving is signed: "Silvester sc., 27, Strand." The engraver Richard Silvester was active at this address (see British Book Trade Index).
Completed in pen and black ink.
The billhead records Tebbitt's purchase of 82 ounces (?) of gin, at 10/6, costing £43/1/0. To this figure is added "cash 1/16/-", bringing the total to £44/17/0. The bill is made out to "Mr. Thos. Tebbitt" and dated "London, 11 May 1828 [?]".
- Subject Terms:
- Beverages -- Great Britain.Distilleries -- Great Britain.Distilling industry -- Great Britain.Gin -- Great Britain.Gin industry -- Great Britain.Liquors -- Great Britain.Swaine, Alport & Lothian (London, England)Tebbitt, Thomas.
Engravings -- 1828.
YCBA Collections Search
Swaine, Alport & Lothian (London, England), [Billhead of Swaine, Alport & Lowthian, distillers, London, recording gin purchased by Thomas Tebbitt, 1828], 1828
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.