Pownall, Thomas, 1722-1805, A topographical description of such parts of North America as are contained in the (annexed) map of the middle British colonies & in North America. , MDCCLXXVI. 
- A topographical description of such parts of North America as are contained in the (annexed) map of the middle British colonies & in North America. / by T. Pownall, M.P. Late governor, &c. &c. of His Majesty's provinces of Massachusetts Bay and South Carolina, and lieutenant governor of New Jersey.
- London: : Printed for J. Almon, opposite Burlington House, in Piccadilly., MDCCLXXVI. 
- Physical Description:
- vi, 46, 16 p.,  folded leaf of plates : map ; 44 cm (fol.)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2018 33Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- The map has title: "A map of the middle British colonies in North America. First published by Mr. Lewis Evans of Philadelphia in 1755; and since corrected and improved, as also extended, with the addition of New England, and bordering parts of Canada: from actual surveys now lying at the Board of trade. By T. Pownall MP. with a topographical description of such parts of North America as are contained in this map. Printed & published according to Act of Parliament for J. Almon in Piccadilly, London. March 25th. 1776. Engraved by Jas. Turner in Philadelphia."
This map is an updated version of Lewis Evans' important 1755 "Map of the Middle British Colonies in North America," using the original plate engraved by James Turner with revisions and adding an eastern extension to cover New England; and Pownall's "Topographical Description" which describes the areas contained in the updated map;
The original map was published at Philadelphia in 1755 in connection with a pamphlet by Evans having the following title: Geographical, historical, political, philosophical and mechanical essays. The first, containing An analysis of A general map of the middle British colonies in America...The "Topographical description", in addition to the map, includes numerous extracts from this essay of Evans.
Map scale ca. 1:2,350,000; prime meridian: London and Philadelphia; relief shown pictorially. Includes text, list of townships, distance charts, and inset "A sketch of the remaining part of Ohio R. &c."
English short title catalogue, T97733
Signatures: [a]² b²(-b2) A-L² M²(-M2), ²A-D².
Howes, W. U.S.iana (2nd ed.), entry P543
McCorkle, B.B. New England in early printed maps, 1513-1800, entry 776.24
Parke-Bernet Galleries. Celebrated collection of Americana formed by the late Thomas Winthrop Streeter, II, entry 826
Sabin, J. Dictionary of books relating to America from its discovery to the present time, entry 64835
Schwartz, S.E. Mapping of America, p. 162, plate 98 (1755 edition)
The final 16 pages contain six important appendices of writings by explorers in the region plus parts of Evans' original essay on his 1755 edition of the map; and have separate pagination and register.
BAC: British Art Center copy in contemporary plain sugar paper wrappers. Accompanied by the map.
- Appendix: 1. The account of Capt. Anthony Van Schaick of the ground between the entrance of lake Chaplain at Crown point, and the mouth of Otter creek -- II. Captain Anthony Van Schaik's journal, 1756 -- III. Captain Hobb's account of the way from No. 4. in New Hampshire, to the mouth of Otter creek -- IV. Extracts from the journal of Captain Harry Gordon...who was sent from Fort Pitt...to Illinois, in 1766 -- V. Extract from Mr. Lewis Evan's journal. 1743 -- VI. A journal of Christopher Giat's journey, began from Col. Cresap's at the old town of Potomack river, Maryland, October 31, 1750, continued down the Ohio, within 15 miles of the falls thereof; and from thence to Roanoak river in North Carolina, where he arrived May 19, 1751; undertaken on account of the Ohio company ...
- Subject Terms:
- British -- America -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Middle Atlantic States -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.New England -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Northeastern States -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Ohio River Valley -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.
Etchings -- 1776.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.