Johnston, Alexander (Silk mercer), Billhead recording purchases by Mrs. Davenport from A. Johnston, silk mercer, haberdasher & lace man, Manchester, 1816
- Billhead recording purchases by Mrs. Davenport from A. Johnston, silk mercer, haberdasher & lace man, Manchester.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Bought of A. Johnston, silk mercer, haberdasher & laceman
- Manchester, 1816.
- Physical Description:
- 1 sheet ; 12 x 20 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsTT635 .J64 1816 BoxYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Archives & Manuscripts
- One billhead of A. Johnston, Manchester clothier, recording purchases made by Mrs. Davenport in 1816. Records purchases made in which Mrs. Davenport buys parasols totalling £3/16/0. Payment received by E. Johnston.
"Bought of A. Johnston, silk mercer, haberdasher & laceman. Millinery, dresses, baby linen, & family mourning."
"Manchester, 19 St Anna Square. 181-. For ready money no. fancy good to order returnable."
Completed in pen and black ink.
Ms inscription on verso: "Mrs. Johnson for 1816".
The London Gazette, 7 July 1818 (page 1231) records successful bankruptcy filings of Alexander Johnston, silk mercer and haberdasher, of Manchester.
- Subject Terms:
- Children's clothing -- Great Britain.Clothing and dress -- Great Britain.Clothing trade -- Great Britain.Hat trade -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Hats -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Johnston, Alexander (Silk mercer)Lace industry -- Great Britain.Manchester (England) -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Millinery -- Great Britain.Mourning clothing & dress.Parasols -- Great Britain.Silk -- Great Britain.
- Receipts (financial records)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.