Travels through the middle settlements in North America, in the years 1759 and 1760 : with observations upon the state of the colonies / by the Rev. Andrew Burnaby, D.D., Archdeacon of Leicester and Vicat of Greenwich.
- Additional Title(s):
Travels through the middle settlements in North America, in the years 1759 and 1760
- Edition the third / revised, corrected, and greatly enlarged, by the author.
- London : Printed for T. Payne, at the Mews-Gate, 1798.
- Physical Description:
- xix, , 209,  pages,  leaves of plates (1 folded) : illustrations, maps ; 29 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsE162 .B87 1798+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Related Content:
- View a selection of digital images in the Beinecke Library's Digital Images Online database
- Aquatint engraved by Neele; after Thomas Davies. Map by engraved by James Neele.
Pages141 and 142 are folding tables paginated in each case on the recto, the verso being blank.
English short title catalogue, T110013
Sabin, J. Dictionary of books relating to America from its discovery to the present time, 9359
BEIN Egf +759c: Bound with His Journal of a tour to Corsica. London, 1804. Has Prof. Tinker's bookplate.
MUDD Egf +759c and SML,FRA 553 +1775d: 28 x 22 cm.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in later three quarter brown black stamped morocco and marbled boards. Bookplate: Alfred Barmore Maclay. Includes additional illustrations: "The Falls of Niagara in Canada" laid in; "Passaic Falls" mounted at front.
- Subject Terms:
- Fairfax family.Fairfax, Thomas Fairfax, Lord, 1692-1782.Great Britain -- Colonies -- America.Maclay, Alfred Barmore -- Bookplate.Meteorology -- Virginia -- Williamsburg -- United States -- Observations.Natural history -- United States.Tinker, Chauncey Brewster, 1876-1963 -- Bookplate.United States -- Commerce.United States -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800
- Aquatints -- 1798.
Engravings -- 1798.
- Preface to the third edition
- Appendixes; viz.: No. 1. Catalogue of trees, plants, birds, fishes, animals, andc. mentioned in the course of this work; with their common names and the names given them by Catasby and Linnæus
- No. 2. Tables and statements relating to the commercial situation of the United States, both before and since the American war
- No. 3. Anecdotes of the Indians
- No. 4. [Anecdotes] of several branches of the Fairfax family now domiciliated in Virginia
- No. 5 Diary of the weather. [1760-1762].