A chronological history of the discoveries in the South Sea or Pacific Ocean / by James Burney, captain in the Royal Navy.
- Additional Title(s):
Voyages and discoveries in the South Sea
- London : Printed by Luke Hansard, near Lincoln's-Inn Fields and sold by G. and W. Nicol, booksellers to His Majesty, Pall-Mall : G. and J. Robinson, Paternoster Row : J. Robson, New Bond-Street : T. Payne, Mew's-Gate : and Cadell and Davies, in the Strand, 1803-1817.
- Physical Description:
- 5 volumes : illustrations ; 30 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDU19 .B87 1803+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Spine title, on publisher's printed labels: Voyages and discoveries in the South Sea.
"Illustrated with charts."
Imprints vary slightly.
Maps engraved by Francis Sansom, J. Pickett, and John Russell. Other engravings by Edward Francis Burney.
Pagination: v.1: , xii, , 391,  p.,  folded leaves of plates; v.2: v, , 482,  p.,  leaves of plates (some folded); v. 3: , 437,  p.,  leaves of plates (some folded); v. 4: xviii, 580 p.,  leaves of plates (some folded); v. 5: vii, , 178, , 179-337 [i.e. 237],  p.,  leaves of plates (some folded).
Signatures: v. 1: pi1 b⁴ c² d⁴ B-3D⁴; v. 2: a-b⁴ B-3P⁴ 3Q² (leaf 3Q2 blank); v. 3: pi1 a⁴ B-3I⁴ 3K⁴ (-3K4); v. 4: a-b⁴ c² (-c2) B-4D⁴ 4E²; v. 5: [A]⁴ B-Z⁴ 2A² 2B-2H⁴ 2I².
Sabin, J. Dictionary of books relating to America from its discovery to the present time, 9387
Ferguson no. 372
National Maritime Museum, 49
Includes bibliographical references and index (in v. 5).
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original blue paper covered boards. Untrimmed.
- Subject Terms:
- Buccaneers -- History.Discoveries in geography.Oceania -- Discovery and exploration.Pacific Ocean -- Discovery and exploration -- American.Pacific Ocean -- Discovery and exploration -- European.Voyages and travels -- History.
- Engravings -- 1803-1817.
- pt. I. Commencing with an account of the earliest discovery of that sea by Europeans and terminating with the voyage of Sir Franicis Drake in 1579
- pt. 2. 1579-1620
- pt. 3. 1620-1688
- pt. 4. To the year 1723, including a history of the buccaneers of America
- pt. 5. To the year 1764.