Burney, James, 1750-1821, A chronological history of the discoveries in the South Sea or Pacific Ocean , 1803-1817
- A chronological history of the discoveries in the South Sea or Pacific Ocean / by James Burney, captain in the Royal Navy.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Voyages and discoveries in the South Sea
- London : Printed by Luke Hansard, near Lincoln's-Inn Fields and sold by G. and W. Nicol, booksellers to His Majesty, Pall-Mall : G. and J. Robinson, Paternoster Row : J. Robson, New Bond-Street : T. Payne, Mew's-Gate : and Cadell and Davies, in the Strand, 1803-1817.
- Physical Description:
- 5 volumes : illustrations ; 30 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDU19 .B87 1803+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Spine title, on publisher's printed labels: Voyages and discoveries in the South Sea.
"Illustrated with charts."
Imprints vary slightly.
Maps engraved by Francis Sansom, J. Pickett, and John Russell. Other engravings by Edward Francis Burney.
Pagination: v.1: , xii, , 391,  p.,  folded leaves of plates; v.2: v, , 482,  p.,  leaves of plates (some folded); v. 3: , 437,  p.,  leaves of plates (some folded); v. 4: xviii, 580 p.,  leaves of plates (some folded); v. 5: vii, , 178, , 179-337 [i.e. 237],  p.,  leaves of plates (some folded).
Signatures: v. 1: pi1 b⁴ c² d⁴ B-3D⁴; v. 2: a-b⁴ B-3P⁴ 3Q² (leaf 3Q2 blank); v. 3: pi1 a⁴ B-3I⁴ 3K⁴ (-3K4); v. 4: a-b⁴ c² (-c2) B-4D⁴ 4E²; v. 5: [A]⁴ B-Z⁴ 2A² 2B-2H⁴ 2I².
Ferguson no. 372
National Maritime Museum, 49
Includes bibliographical references and index (in v. 5).
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original blue paper covered boards. Untrimmed.
- pt. I. Commencing with an account of the earliest discovery of that sea by Europeans and terminating with the voyage of Sir Franicis Drake in 1579 -- pt. 2. 1579-1620 -- pt. 3. 1620-1688 -- pt. 4. To the year 1723, including a history of the buccaneers of America -- pt. 5. To the year 1764.
- Subject Terms:
- Buccaneers -- History.Discoveries in geography.Oceania -- Discovery and exploration.Pacific Ocean -- Discovery and exploration -- American.Pacific Ocean -- Discovery and exploration -- European.Voyages and travels -- History.
- Engravings -- 1803-1817.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.