IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Webb, W., active 1813, Three advertisements for American Fluid leather treatment, manufactured by W. Webb, London, not before 1813
Three advertisements for American Fluid leather treatment, manufactured by W. Webb, London.
- London : W. Webb, not before 1813.
- Physical Description:
- 3 sheets ; 17 x 21 cm, and smaller
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsHD9780 .W43 1813 BoxYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Full Orbis Record:
- The bottom of each advertisement notes numerous establishments where the product is sold.
In two of the advertisements ('a' and 'b'), Webb is listed at no. 28 Castle Street, Borough. Contemporary newspaper accounts record Webb at this address in the 1820s and 1830s. The third ('c') lists Webb at 46 King Street, Borough.
Three different versions of advertisements for Webb's American fluid, each describing the merits of the fluid, and each with testimonials, which are dated to 1812 and 1813. One (Eph Ad 6a) notes: "This certifies that we have given the American fluid repeated trials, and do announce it to be a most admirable invention for the purpose of softening and preserving leather ..." as vouched for by Lord Somerville, the Duke of Bedford, and Vaughan Lloyd and John Ramsay of the Royal Artillery. "It will repel salt water, snow, or rain, and restore leather that is hard and stiff ... The dust will not stick to it as it does with oil ... N.B. It has been sufficiently proved that it will subdue any external inflammation in horses, cows, dogs, and other animals ..."
- Subject Terms:
- Harnesses -- Great Britain.Leather -- Conservation and restoration.Leather goods -- Great Britain.Veterinary medicine -- Great Britain.Webb, W., active 1813.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.