Gibbon, Daniel (Hosier), Billhead of Daniel Gibbon, London hosier, for purchases by Mr. H. Gibbs, 1832, 1832
- Billhead of Daniel Gibbon, London hosier, for purchases by Mr. H. Gibbs, 1832.
- Alternate Title(s):
- D. Gibbon, hosier, glover & shirtmaker to the King and Royal Family
- London, 1832.
- Physical Description:
- 1 sheet : illustration, 27 x 21 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGT510 .G53 1832 BoxYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Archives & Manuscripts
- Records twenty purchases (made between January 4 and November 31) in which Gibbs bought gloves, collars, hose, colored Angola trousers, white kid habits, black kid habits, drab habits, velvet stock, straw kid habits, and woodstock, totalling £5/5/9. Gibbon records receipt of payment in 1833.
"D. Gibbon, hosier, glover & shirtmaker to the King and Royal Family. 19, Coventry Street, opposite the Haymaket."
The engraved billhead features an image of the royal arms of Great Britain.
The Dec. 14, 1833, issue of the Spectator (page 1276), notes, under the heading Insolvents, "Gibbon, Daniel, Coventry Street, Haymarket, hosier, Dec. 10."
Completed in pen and black ink.
- Subject Terms:
- Accessories (Clothing & dress)Clothing and dress -- Great Britain.Clothing trade -- Great Britain.Gibbon, Daniel (Hosier)Gibbs, H., active 1832.Gloves -- Great Britain.Hosiery -- Great Britain.Shirts, Men's -- Great Britain.
- Engravings -- 1832.
Receipts (financial records)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.