Campbell, Colen, 1676-1729, Vitruvius Britannicus, or, The British architect , MDCCXV-MDCCLXXI [1715-1771]
- Vitruvius Britannicus, or, The British architect : containing the plans, elevations, and sections of the regular buildings, both publick and private in Great Britain, with a variety of new designs : in 200 large folio plates : engraven by the best hands : and drawn either from the buildings themselves, or the original designs of the architects / by Colen Campbell = Vitruvius Britannicus, ou, L'architecte britannique, contenant les plans, elevations, & sections des batiments reguliers, tant particuliers que publics de la Grande Bretagne : compris en 200 grandes planches gravez en taille douce par les meilleurs maitres, et tous ou dessinez des batiments memes, ou copiez des dessiens originaux des architects / par le Sieur Campbell.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Vitruvius Britannicus, ou l'architecte britannique, contenant les plans, elevations, & sections des bâtimens reguliers, tant particuliers que publics de la Grande Bretagne
- London : Sold by the author over against Douglas-Coffee house in St. Martins-Lane : John Nicholson in Little Britain : Andrew Bell at the Cross-Keys in Cornhil : W. Taylor in Pater-Noster -Row : Henry Clements in St. Pauls Church-yard : and Jos. Smith in Exeter Change, MDCCXV-MDCCLXXI [1715-1771].
- Physical Description:
- 5 volumes : illustrations ; 51 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2016 54Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- The title pages are engraved in volumes 1-2, 4-5.
Vol. 3 contains "The geometrical plans of the most considerable gardens and plantations."
Vols. 4 and 5 are a continuation by Woolfe and Gandon.
Harris, E. British architectural books and writers, 97
Fowler, page 62
Archer, J. British domestic architecture, 32.1
BAC: British Art Center copy is a large paper copy, with volumes IV & V larger than volumes I to III. All volumes are first issues with lists of subscribers and volumes IV & V with the bookplate of Edward Harbord, Lord Suffield. Bound in contemporary calf; rebacked.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture -- Designs and plans -- Early works to 1800.Architecture -- Early works to 1800.Architecture -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Architecture, Domestic -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Gardens -- Early works to 1800.Harbord, Edward -- Bookplate.
- Engravings -- 1715-1771.
Etchings -- 1715-1771.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.