Miller & Sons (London, England), [Billhead of Miller & Sons, candle merchants, London], [between 1830 and 1850?]
- [Billhead of Miller & Sons, candle merchants, London].
- London : Miller & Sons, [between 1830 and 1850?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 sheet : illustration, 17 x 29 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsTS1980 .M55 1830 BoxYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Archives & Manuscripts
- Records purchase of a pair of candles and spermaceti. Date of purchase and buyer not identified. Bears no receipt of payment.
The engraved billhead features an image of the royal arms of Great Britain.
"Bought of Miller & Sons (successors to Mr. Glossop). Spermaceti refiners, wax chandlers & oil merchants, 179, Piccadilly, opposite Burlington House, and at their manufactory, 51, Old Compton Street, Soho. Sealing wax, chamber lamps, floating lights, lamp glasses, cottons &c. &c."
Inscribed: "5 per cent disct from the above prices will depend on the quantity ordered" and "Miller-Piccadilly. Pair of candles."
Completed in pen and black ink.
Miller & Sons were active at 179 Piccadilly from approximately 1830 to 1907.
- Subject Terms:
- Candlemaking -- Great Britain.Candles -- Great Britain.Candles -- Prices -- England -- London.House furnishings.London (England) -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Miller & Sons (London, England)Whale oil -- Great Britain.
- Engravings -- 1830-1850.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.