IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Miller & Sons (London, England), [Billhead of Miller & Sons, candle merchants, London], [between 1830 and 1850?]
[Billhead of Miller & Sons, candle merchants, London].
- London : Miller & Sons, [between 1830 and 1850?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 sheet : illustration, 17 x 29 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsTS1980 .M55 1830 BoxYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Archives & Manuscripts
- The engraved billhead features an image of the royal arms of Great Britain.
"Bought of Miller & Sons (successors to Mr. Glossop). Spermaceti refiners, wax chandlers & oil merchants, 179, Piccadilly, opposite Burlington House, and at their manufactory, 51, Old Compton Street, Soho. Sealing wax, chamber lamps, floating lights, lamp glasses, cottons &c. &c."
Inscribed: "5 per cent disct from the above prices will depend on the quantity ordered" and "Miller-Piccadilly. Pair of candles."
Completed in pen and black ink.
Miller & Sons were active at 179 Piccadilly from approximately 1830 to 1907.
Records purchase of a pair of candles and spermaceti. Date of purchase and buyer not identified. Bears no receipt of payment.
- Subject Terms:
- Candlemaking -- Great Britain.Candles -- Great Britain.Candles -- Prices -- England -- London.House furnishings.London (England) -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Miller & Sons (London, England)Whale oil -- Great Britain.
- Engravings -- 1830-1850.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.