A second edition of the Anecdotes and history of Cranbourn Chase / by William Chafin, clerk ; with additions, and a continuation of the said history to some extent ; to which are added, some scenes in, and anecdotes of Windsor forest ; by the same author.
- Additional Title(s):
Anecdotes and history of Cranbourne Chase
- London : Printed by and for J. Nichols, Son, & Bentley, Red Lion Passage, Fleet-Street, and 25, Parliament-Street : sold also by Messrs. Brodie and Co. Salisbury : Shipp, Blandford : Penny, Sherborne : Thomas Weymouth : and by all the other booksellers in the counties of Dorset and Wilts, 1818.
- Physical Description:
- ,103,  leaf of plates : illustrations ; 22 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA690.C76 C43 1818Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BEIN Byz C85 818c: Bound with his anecdotes respecting Cranbourn Chase. London. 1818.
BEIN 2005 908: Ms. note: n. 4303. Ms. notes in the hand of William Beckford. Spine binding has William Beckford's cinquefoil flower device. From the library of William Beckford.
Engraved frontispiece depicts a stag-hunting party. This engraving is after a drawing by Byng, lent to the publishers by Robert Wray, a descendant of Byng.
The first four leaves (sig. B) are numbered: , 1*, 2, 2*, 3, 3*, 4, 4*.
The first edition was published the same year.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary gray boards; rebacked.
- Subject Terms:
- Beckford, William, 1760-1844 -- Ms. notes.Beckford, William, 1760-1844 -- Ownership.Cranborne Chase (England) -- History.Cranborne Chase (England) -- Social life and customs.Game and game-birds.Game laws -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Hunting -- Great Britain -- History.Hunting dogs -- Great Britain.Messrs. Brodie & co. -- Bookseller.Penny -- Bookseller.Poaching -- Great Britain -- History.Shipp -- Bookseller.Weymouth, Thomas -- Bookseller.
- Engravings -- 1818.
Annotations (Provenance) -- 19th century.
YCBA Collections Search
Chafin, William, 1733-1818, A second edition of the Anecdotes and history of Cranbourn Chase , 1818
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.