Chambers, William, Sir, 1723-1796, Designs of Chinese buildings, furniture, dresses, machines, and utensils , MDCCLVII 
- Designs of Chinese buildings, furniture, dresses, machines, and utensils / engraved by the best hands, from the originals drawn in China by Mr. Chambers, architect, member of the Imperial Academy of Arts at Florence ; to which is annexed a description of their temples, houses, gardens, &c.
- London : Published for the author, and sold by him next door to Tom's Coffee-house, Russel-Street, Convent-Garden; also by Mess. Dodsley, in Pall Mall; Mess. Wilson and Durham; Mr. A. Millar, in the Strand, and Mr. R. Willock, in Cornhill, MDCCLVII 
- Physical Description:
- , 19,  pages, XXI leaves of plates : illustrations ; 58 cm (folio)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2017 6 Copy 1Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2017 6 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- View a selection of digital images in the Beinecke Library's Digital Images Online database
- The first two or three paragraphs of the preface, and possibly the chapter "Of the art of laying out gardens among the Chinese" were written by Samuel Johnson. Cf. Fleeman.
Engravings by Paul Fourdrinier, Ignace Fougeron, Charles Grignion, Edward Rooker and Paul Sandby.
Archer, J. British domestic architecture, 38.1
Harris, E. British architectural books and writers, 113
"List of the subscribers"--Pages -, first sequence.
BEIN JJr38 10: Bound with: his A treatise on civil architecture. London, 1759.
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 bound in contemporary half calf with marbled boards.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 bound in contemporary calf. Autograph: Albert A. Holt. Bookplate: Abigail Treat Holt. Has bound with it: Plans, elevations, sections, and perspective views of the gardens and buildings at Kew in Surry / William Chambers. London : J. Haberkorn, MDCCLXIII 
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture -- China.Clothing and dress -- China.Gardens -- China.Holt, Abigail Treat -- Bookplate.Holt, Albert A. -- Autograph.
- Etchings -- 1757.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.