A voyage to North-America: undertaken by command of the present King of France : containing the geographical description and natural history of Canada and Louisiana : with the customs, manners, trade and religion of the iInhabitants : a description of the lakes and rivers, with their navigation and manner of passing the Great Cataracts / by Father Charlevoix ; also, a description and natural history of the islands in the West Indies belonging to the different powers of Europe ; illustrated with a number of curious prints and maps not in any other edition ; in two volumes.
- Additional Title(s):
Journal d'un voyage fait par ordre du roi dans l'Amerique. English
- Dublin : Printed for John Exshaw, and James Potts, in Dame-Street, MDCCLXVI 
- Physical Description:
- 2 volumes : illustrations, maps ; 20 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsF1030 .C43 1766Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- A reprint of "Letters to the dutchess of Lesdiguières," ed. of 1763, with the Preliminary discourse and letter I, supplied from "Journal of a voyage to North-America," ed. of 1761.
English short title catalogue, T73491
Sabin, J. Dictionary of books relating to America from its discovery to the present time, 12143
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary calf; rebacked. Armorial bookplate: Lord Gray.
- Subject Terms:
- Canada -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Canada -- Discovery and exploration -- Early works to 1800.Gray, Lord -- Bookplate.Hispaniola -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Hispaniola -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Indians of North America -- Canada -- Early works to 1800.Mississippi River Valley -- Discovery and exploration -- Early works to 1800.New France -- Discovery and exploration -- Early works to 1800.North America -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.West Indies -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.
- Engravings -- 1766.
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
YCBA Collections Search
Charlevoix, Pierre-François-Xavier de, 1682-1761, A voyage to North-America: undertaken by command of the present King of France , MDCCLXVI 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.