Striking likenesses, handsomely framed, only 1s. each, taken at 114, Strand, opposite Exeter 'Change, [approximately 1820?]
Striking likenesses, handsomely framed, only 1s. each, taken at 114, Strand, opposite Exeter 'Change.
- [London] : [publisher not identified], [approximately 1820?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 trade card : portrait ; 81 x 45 mm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR3991.A1 S77 1820 BoxYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Trade card of an unidentified portrait artist.
With a woodcut profile. The subject is identified, in ms, as Doctor Syntax (a character in comic poems by William Combe). The profile closely copies the depiction of Doctor Syntax made famous by Thomas Rowlandson.
- Subject Terms:
- Artists -- Great Britain.Combe, William, 1742-1823. Tour of Doctor Syntax in search of the picturesque -- Illustrations.London (England) -- Social life and customs.Portrait drawing, English.Portraits -- Great Britain.
Trade cards (advertising)
Woodcuts -- 1820.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.