Nattes, John Claude, 1765?-1822, Monsieur Nattes, no. 41, Charles Street, Westminster, [approximately 1781?]
- Monsieur Nattes, no. 41, Charles Street, Westminster.
- [London] : Nattes, [approximately 1781?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 trade card : illustration ; 95 x 95 mm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC730 .N37 1781 BoxAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Trade card of John Claude Nattes, featuring an engraving of a formal 18th century garden.
"Pupil of Mr. Dean, respectfully acquaints the nobility & gentry that he teaches drawing in the manner of that celebrated master, on moderate terms. He also teaches perspective, so very essential in taking local views. Monsier Nattes likewise continues to decorate drawing & prints in the most elegant manner, & has a very superior method of fixing or binding drawings in chalks or lead, to prevent them from being effaced."
"[Nattes] exhibited regularly at the Royal Academy from 1780. As well as a painter, he was a watercolourist, drawing master and print dealer and a founding member of the Old Watercolour Society, from which he was expelled in 1807 for submitting other artists' works under his name. From 1802 he made frequent visits and several sojourns to France. For a long time he was assumed to have died around 1822 but it is now known he died in London 7 Sept. 1839."--British Museum collections database. According to the BM, Nattes was at this address in 1781.
- Subject Terms:
- Artists -- Great Britain.Drawing -- Study and teaching -- Great Britain.Nattes, John Claude, 1765?-1822, artist.Perspective -- Study and teaching -- Great Britain.Portrait drawing, English.Portraits -- Great Britain.Watercolor painting -- Great Britain.
Trade cards (advertising)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.