The history of Virginia, in four parts : I. The history of the first settlement of Virginia, and the government thereof, to the year 1706 : II. The natural productions and conveniences of the country, suited to trade and improvement : III. The native Indians, their religion, laws, and customs, in war and peace : IV. The present state of the country, as to the polity of the government, and the improvements of the land, the 10th of June 1702 / by a native and inhabitant of the place.
- The second edition, revis'd and enlarg'd by the author.
- London : Printed for F. Fayram and J. Clarke at the Royal-Exchange, and T. Bickerton in Pater-Noster-Row, 1722.
- Physical Description:
- , 284,  pages,  leaf of plates : illustrations ; 19 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsF229 .B48 1722Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- With an additional titlepage, engraved, which attributes the work to R. B., that is, Robert Beverley.
With a final 'table' of contents, and 2 advertisement leaves.
Leaf T8 is a cancel, signed with an asterisk.
First published in 1705 as The history and present state of Virginia, in four parts.
Frontispiece after Simon Gribelin.
BEIN CL5 20 Copy 2: 1 plate wanting.
English short title catalogue, T71204
Sabin, J. Dictionary of books relating to America from its discovery to the present time, 5113
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary full tan sprinkled calf. Bookplates: W. S. Ahern; Robert L. Parrish. Autograph: Ever. Buckworth, 1763.
- Subject Terms:
- Ahern, W. S. -- Bookplate.Buckworth, Ever. -- Autograph.Indians of North America -- Virginia.Parrish, Robert L. -- Bookplate.Slavery -- Virginia.Virginia -- Description and travel.Virginia -- History -- Colonial period, ca. 1600-1775.
- Engravings -- 1722.
YCBA Collections Search
Beverley, Robert, approximately 1673-1722, The history of Virginia, in four parts , 1722
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.