Cynegetica, or, Essays on sporting : consisting of observations on hare hunting : containing, an account of the hare hunting and coursing of the ancients, from Xenophon and Arrian : a philosophical enquiry into the nature and properties of the scent : remarks on the different kinds of hounds, with the manner of training them : directions for the choice of a hunter : the qualifications requisite for a huntsman : and other general rule to be observed in every contingency incident to the chase : together with an account of the vizier's manner of hunting in the Mogul empire by William Blane, Esq. : to which is added The chace, a poem by William Somervile, Esq.
- Additional Title(s):
Essays on hunting.
- A new edition : embellished with an elegant frontispiece and a vignette.
- London : Printed for John Stockdale, Piccadilly, 1788.
- Physical Description:
- , 292,  pages,  leaves of plates : illustrations ; 21 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSK31 .B53 1788 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsSK31 .B53 1788 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Imprint from engraved title page.
Engravings by Henry Heath; after Thomas Stothard.
Publisher's advertisement:  pages at end.
First published under title: Essays on hunting, 1781.
English short title catalogue, T160906
Podeschi, J.B. Books on the horse and horsemanship, 67
Publisher's advertisements,  pages at end.
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 bound in contemporary paper covered boards. Frontispiece is hand-colored.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 bound in contemporary tree calf. Frontispiece is uncolored.
- Subject Terms:
- Hare and hounds -- Early works to 1800.Hare hunting -- Early works to 1800.Hunting -- Early works to 1800.Tiger hunting -- India -- Early works to 1800.
- Engravings -- 1788.
Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1788.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.