A voyage to the South Sea : undertaken by command of His Majesty for the purpose of conveying the bread-fruit tree to the West Indies in His Majesty's Ship the Bounty commanded by Lieutenant William Bligh : including an account of the mutiny on board the said ship and the subsequent voyage of part of the crew in the ship's boat from Tofoa, one of the Friendly Islands, to Timor, a Dutch settlement in the East Indies.
- London : Printed for George Nicol, bookseller to His Majesty, 1792.
- Physical Description:
- , 264 pages,  leaves of plates : illustrations ; 31 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDU20 .B55 1790+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Written mostly by William Bligh, with some text by James Burney.
Engravings by Mackenzie and William Harrison. Engraved frontispiece, a portrait of William Bligh, by Jean Condé; after J. Russell.
An account of the mutiny was published separately in 1790 with title: A narrative of the mutiny, on board His Majesty's ship Bounty.
With additional material comprising the Voyage, i.e. that relating to transactions and events on the voyage before the Mutiny, and those subsequent to Bligh's arrival at Timor, at which point the detailed Narrative of the Mutiny and voyage in the ship's boat ends. The account of the voyage proceeds to page 153. Pages 154 and 254 are left blank (for the interpolation of the Narrative of the Mutiny), then the account of the Voyage proceeds from page 246 to its conclusion at page 264.
English short title catalogue, T52638
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary half niger morocco with beige linen boards. Bookplate: F.G. Coles. Autograph: Ann Kingston. Bound with: A narrative of the mutiny on board His Majesty's ship Bounty (London : Printed for G. Nicol, 1790).
- Subject Terms:
- Bligh, William, 1754-1817 -- Travel -- Oceania -- Early works to 1800.Bounty (Ship) -- Early works to 1800.Bounty Mutiny, 1789 -- Early works to 1800.Breadfruit -- Oceania -- Early works to 1800.Coles, F.G. -- Bookplate.Oceania -- Description and travel.Oceania -- Discovery and exploration -- British -- Early works to 1800.Pacific Ocean -- Discovery and exploration.Ringson, Ann -- Autograph.Voyages and travels -- 1700-1800.Voyages and travels.
- Engravings -- 1792.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.