Mrs. Stewart's concert Hanover Square, 
- Mrs. Stewart's concert Hanover Square.
- London? : [publisher not identified], 
- Physical Description:
- 1 print : etching ; sheet 13 x 17 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsML268.8.8.L5 S74 1789 BoxAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Mrs. Stewart's concert at Hanover Square was advertised in the June 10, 1789, issue of The Oracle, Bell's New World, to be performed on June 15, 1789. The performer may be the same Mrs. Stewart (later Mrs. Bellair) identified by Highfill as a member of Stephen Kemble's troupe in Edinburgh. See: Highfill, Philip H. A biographical dictionary of actors, actresses, musicians, dancers, managers & other stage personnel in London, 1660-1800. Carbondale : Southern Illinois University Press -1993 (v. 14, pages 283-284).
Admission ticket. Features an oval-framed etching depicting a woman taking a harp from a sleeping man, with caption: "Daughter of Toscar take the harp & raise the lovely song of Selma, Osian."
Etching by and after James Neagle.
- Subject Terms:
- Amusements -- England -- London -- 18th century.Concerts -- Great Britain.Hanover Square (London, England)London (England) -- Social life and customs -- 18th century.Macpherson, James, 1736-1796. Ossian -- Illustrations.Music -- Great Britain -- 18th century.Singers -- Great Britain.Stewart, Mrs., active 1791-1796.Women singers -- Great Britain.
- Admission tickets.
Etchings -- 1789.
Advertisements -- England -- London -- 1789.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.