Robertson, David, Notebooks on machine guns, rifles, telescopes and binoculars, 1916-1917
- Notebooks on machine guns, rifles, telescopes and binoculars.
- Enfield Lock, Middlesex, 1916-1917.
- Physical Description:
- 4 volumes : illustrations ; 17 cm, or smaller
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsIn Process UF620.M4 R63 1917Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Archives & Manuscripts
- Four manuscript notebooks kept by David Robertson, amourer in the British Army, at Enfield Lock, Middlesex, 1916-1917. Enfield Lock was the home of the Royal Small Arms Factory and quarters of the Army Ordnance Corp.
Volume 1 (116 pages) contains Robertson's notes for a course of instruction in Maxim, Vickers, Lewes, and Hotchkiss guns. There are several small diagrams, and comprehensive and detailed information. Primarily in graphite; in pen and ink near the end. Bound in original quarter maroon cloth and cream boards.
Volume 2 (175 pages) contains Robertson's notes for a course of instruction in all aspects of rifle and bayonet assembly and use. There are several small diagrams, and comprehensive and detailed information, including changes made up to August 1916. Written in pen and black ink. Bound in original black glazed cloth.
Volumes 3-4 contain Robertson's notes for a course of instruction in range finders, telescopes and binoculars, with small diagrams (some in color). Old ink stain to the upper edge of one volume, slightly intruding onto a number of pages. In very good condition in original black morocco cloth, and cloth backed boards.
- Subject Terms:
- Binoculars -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Great Britain. Army -- Equipment.Machine guns -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Rifles -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Robertson, David.Royal Small Arms Factory (Enfield, London, England)Telescopes -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.World War, 1914-1918 -- Great Britain.
- Military manuals.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.