Wells, William Frederick, 1762-1836, A new and compendious treatise of anatomy and proportions of the human figure , 1796
- A new and compendious treatise of anatomy and proportions of the human figure : adapted to the arts of designing, painting, and sculpture : illustrated with copper-plates : designed principally for the information of such ladies as practise the above arts : and absolutely necessary to all students, who wish to acquire correctness in the outline of the human figure / by W.F. Wells.
- London : Printed for the author; and sold by Hookham and Carpenter, Bond Street, 1796.
[London] : Typis S. Gosnell, 
- Physical Description:
- , 19,  page,  leaves of plates : illlustrations ; 28 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC760 .W45 1796+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- ESTC, T101921
Röhrl, B. History and bibliography of artistic anatomy, p. 467
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original black quarter roan and ochre paper-covered boards.
Errata:  page at end.
- Subject Terms:
- Anatomy, Artistic -- Early works to 1800.Drawing -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Drawing -- Technique.Figure drawing.Human anatomy -- Early works to 1800.Human figure in art.Women -- Education -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.
- Handbooks and manuals.
Stipple engravings -- 1796.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.