IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Shelvocke, George, A voyage round the world by way of the great South Sea , MDCCXXVI 
A voyage round the world by way of the great South Sea : perform'd in the years 1719, 20, 21, 22, in the Speedwell of London, of 24 guns and 100 men, (under His Majesty's commission to cruize on the Spaniards in the late war with the Spanish crown) till she was cast away on the island of Juan Fernandes, in May 1720 : and afterwards continu'd in the Recovery, the Jesus Maria and Sacra Familia, &c. / by Capt. George Shelvocke, Commander of the Speedwell, Recovery, &c. in this expedition.
- London : Printed for J. Senex, at the Globe against St. Duncan's Church, Fleetstreet; W. and J. Innys, at the Prince's-Arms in St. Paul's Church-yard; and J. Osborn and T. Longman, at the Ship in Pater-Noster Row, MDCCXXVI 
- Physical Description:
- , xxxii, , 468 pages,  leaves of plates (some folded) : illustrations, maps ; 20 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsG420 .S54 1726Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Title vignette.
English short title catalogue, T86937
Sabin, J. Dictionary of books relating to America from its discovery to the present time, 80158
BEIN Ecd 719S: Map and 1 plate misplaced in binding.
BEIN Zc70 726sh: Bookplate of John Guitton. Bookplate of Frederick William Beinecke and Carry Sperry Beinecke.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary calf with the crest of the Dukes of Buccleuch on spine. With a printed case/shelf label bearing the same Buccleuch crest, presumably for the library at Dalkeith Palace.
- Subject Terms:
- Beinecke, Carrie S. (Carrie Sperry) -- Bookplate.Beinecke, Frederick W. -- Bookplate.Buccleuch, Dukes of -- Binding.Geografia Da America Do Sul.Guitton, John -- Bookplate.Mexico -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Pacific Coast (Mexico) -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Pacific Coast (North America) -- Description and travel.Pacific Coast (South America) -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Privateering -- Early works to 1800.South America -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Voyages around the world -- 1700-1800.Voyages around the world -- Early works to 1800.
- Engravings -- 1726.
Armorial bindings (Binding)
- Contents of the plates: Correct map of the world
- An Indian of the Island of Chiloe in pursuit of a bull
- The position of a sea-lion
- An Indian of the Southernmost parts of California
- Two California women.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.