Worlidge, John, fl. 1669-1698, Systema agriculturae, the mystery of husbandry discovered , 1669
- Systema agriculturae, the mystery of husbandry discovered : wherein is treated of the several new and most advantagious ways of tilling planting sowing manuring ordering improving all sorts of gardens, orchards, meadows, pastures, corn-lands, woods, & coppices, and of all sorts of fruits, corn, grain, pulse, new hays, cattel, fowl, beasts, bees, silk-worms, &c. : with an account of the several instruments and engines useful in this profession : to which is added, Kalendarium rusticum, or, The husbandmans monethly directions : also the prognosticks of dearth, scarcity, plenty, sickness, heat, cold, frost, snow, windes, rain, hail, thunder, &c. : and Dictionarium rusticum, or, The interpretation of rustick terms / published for the common good, by J. W. gent. ; the whole work being of great use and advantage to all that delight in that most noble practice.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Kalendarium rusticum
Monethly directions for the husbandman
Interpretations and signigications of several rustick terms
- London : Printed by T. Johnson for Samuel Speed, near the Inner Temple Gate in Fleet-Street, 1669.
- Physical Description:
- , 278,  p. : ill. ; 29 cm. (4to)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsS509 .W67 1669+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BEIN Uz52 +669w: 2 p.l. missing; t.p. and 32 p.l. mutilated. Added t.p. missing.
Written by John Worlidge. Cf. DNB.
With an additional title page ([A]2r), engraved and signed: Systema Agriculturæ, being the mystery of husbandry discovered and laid open by J: W: ... F. H. Van Houe scul; ... 1668.
"Kalendarium rusticum" and "Dictionarium rusticum" each have separate title page, with imprint "printed in the year 1668", on leafs 2K2r and 2Q1r, respectively.
A second part was published in 1689 (Wing W3597A).
DNB, v. 60, p. 327
Includes bibliographical references and index.
BAC: British Art Center copy inscribed: Lit. A. Fol: no. 4; Walter Jennings from Walter B. James. Bound in blind-tooled calf binding.
- Subject Terms:
- Agriculture -- Early works to 1800.Animal culture -- Early works to 1800.James, Walter B. -- Pres. insc. to Walter Jennings.Jennings, Walter -- Pres. insc. from Walter B. James.Johnson, T. -- Printer.Speed, Samuel -- Publisher.
- Engravings -- 1669.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.