A panorama of the progress of human life : fashionably displayed, illustrating "Shakespeare's ages" and exhibiting the manners, costume, character and field sports of the English people ... / published by S. and J. Fuller.
- [London] : Privately printed by [by Waterlow & Sons limited] by the author of "Hunting, hawking, shooting", 1930.
- Physical Description:
- 9,  p.,  leaves of plates : col. ill. ; 35 x 46 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2011 50Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Preface signed: C.F.G.R. Schwerdt.
15 colored plates mounted on 5 leaves.
Descriptive letterpress facing each plate.
Limited edition of 400 copies.
BEIN JJn16 7f: "Four hundred copies only ... have been printed, nos. 1-250 for Great Britain, nos. 251-400 for sale by Ernest R. Gee, New York, and all the plates have been destroyed. This copy is no. 316. [Signed in manuscript:] C.F.G.R. Schwerdt." Additional text on inside of back cover.
BAC: British Art Center copy is no. 157 of 400, signed by Schwerdt. Bound in original printed tan wrappers.
Facsimile of the illlustrations of Henry Alken's A panorama of the progress of human life, fashionably display'd.
- Subject Terms:
- Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- Pictorial works.Schwerdt, C. F. G. R. (Charles Francis George Richard), 1862-1939 -- Autograph.Schwerdt, C. F. G. R. (Charles Francis George Richard), 1862-1939 -- Autograph.Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 -- Illustrations.Waterlow & Sons limited -- Printer.
YCBA Collections Search
Alken, Henry Thomas, 1784-1851, A panorama of the progress of human life , 1930
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.