The compleat horseman and expert ferrier : In two bookes. The first, shewing the best manner of breeding good horses, with their choyce, nature, riding and dyeting, as well for running as hunting, and how the rider ought to behave himselfe in the breaking and riding of colts, as also teaching the groome and keeper his true office, touching the horses and colts committed to his charge, and prescribing the best manner how a perfect stable ought to be scituated and made, not hitherto so fully described by any. The second, directing the most exact and approved manner how to know and cure all maladies and diseases in horses: a worke containing the secrets and best skill belonging either to ferrier or horse-leech: the cures placed alphabetically: with many hundreds of medicines never before imprinted in any author. Published at the earnest request of sundry noble and worthy gentlemen, for the generall good and benefit of the whole kingdome: and dedicated to His most excellent Majestie / By Thomas de Gray Esquire.
- Additional Title(s):
- London : Printed by Thomas Harper, and are to be sold by Nicholas Vavasour, at his Shop in the inner Temple neere the Church doore, 1639.
- Physical Description:
- , 356,  p. : ill. ; 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSF285.3 .D44 1639+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- BEIN Uzfe17 +639d: Imperfect: wanting all preceding leaf b2, excepting the t.p, and final blank leaf. Title page frayed.
Running title reads: The expert ferrier.
"The portrait of Charles I on horseback, engr. by W. Marshall, [leaf [a]2] was prob. made for the present item though it also appears the same year w. 25963"--STC. It has a conjugate leaf of explanation (leaf [a]3).
"Imprimatur, Thomas VVykes."--Foot of p. 356.
One of three imprint variants of the same edition.
Signatures: [a]⁴ b-d⁴ B-2Y⁴ 2Z² chi⁴ (chi4 blank).
T.p. enclosed in a decorative woodcut rule-border. All other pages enclosed in a plain rule-border.
Woodcut vignette on t.p., head-pieces, and initials.
Podeschi, J.B. Books on the horse and horsemanship, 23
Pollard, A.W. Short-title catalogue of books printed in England, Scotland, & Ireland and of English books printed abroad, 1475-1640 (2nd ed.), 12206
English short title catalogue, S106705
Includes index and printed marginalia.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in full blind- and gilt-tooled sprinkled calf; edges sprinkled red. Ms inscriptions (illegible) on recto of first free end-paper; ms inscription "Nemo tela sui mutatu[m] jus alet omen H: P" on recto of second free end-paper.
- Subject Terms:
- Harper, Thomas, d. 1656 -- Printer.Horses -- Diseases -- Early works to 1800.Horses -- Early works to 1800.Horses -- Training -- Early works to 1800.Vavasour, Nicholas -- Publisher.Veterinary medicine -- Early works to 1800.
- Engravings -- 1639.
Woodcuts -- 1639.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.