IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Bijlaer, Gerard van, active 1540?-1617, The destruction of the Spanish Armada, 1588
The destruction of the Spanish Armada
- England, 1588
- Physical Description:
- 1 medallion : silver ; 51 mm in diameter
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFlat D 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Full Orbis Record:
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Inscribed on obverse: "O COECAS HOMINVM MENTES O PECTOEA COECA" (Oh! the blind minds, the blind hearts of men).
Inscribed on reverse: "DVRVM EST CONTRA STIMVLOS CALCITRARE" (It is hard to kick against the pricks--Acts ix. 5); "VENI VIDE VIVE 1588" (Come, see, live); "TV DEVS MAGNVS ET MAGNA FACIS TV SOLVS DEVS" (Thou, God, art great and doest wondrous things; thou art God alone--Psalms. lxxxvi. 10). Translations from British Museum.
British Museum. Medallic illustrations of the history of Great Britain and Ireland, 1 p. 144.111
Attwood, P. Medals of dishonour, p. 40-41
British Museum collection, 1950,0805.3
"Silver medal: (obverse) Pope, kings, bishops and others, seated in consultation, with bandaged eyes; the floor filled with spikes. (reverse) The Spanish fleet driven against rocks ... The obverse sarcastically satirizes the vain efforts of the Pope, the Emperor, Philip II, the Duke de Guise and other Princes, who had confederated against Elizabeth. The reverse records the destruction of the Spanish Armada, and ascribes the event to the immediate interference of Heaven."--British Museum.
- Subject Terms:
- Armada, 1588.Great Britain -- History -- Elizabeth, 1558-1603.Great Britain -- History, Naval -- Tudors, 1485-1603.Medals -- Specimens.Spain -- History -- Phillip II, 1556-1598.Spain -- History, Naval -- 16th century.
- Medallions (medals)
- IIIF Manifest:
Spreading Canvas - Eighteenth - Century British Marine Painting (Yale Center for British Art, 2016-09-09 - 2016-12-04) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.