Poems of Thomas Gray : with watercolour illustrations by William Blake.
- [London] : The Folio Society, 
- Physical Description:
-  pages : illustrations ; 47 cm + 1 volume (xiv, 210 pages ; 25 cm) box 57 x 36 x 8 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2013 20Yale Center for British Art, Gift of the Folio SocietyAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Title from cover.
Facsimile of: Poems, by Mr. Gray. A new edition. London: Printed for J. Murray, (No. 31.), Fleet-Street, MDCCLXXX.
"This facsimile edition of the poems of Thomas Gray has been reproduced from the originals held at the Yale Centre for British Art, New Haven, Connecticut, USA, by Dot Gradations, Wickford, Essex, and printed by Appl, Wemding, Germany, on Natural Evolution paper. It has been bound by Zanardi, Padova, Italy in Nigerian goatskin leather with cloth sides printed and blocked with a design by David Eccles based on William Blake's original drawing; the endleaves are of Curious Metallics gold leaf backed with Nettuno Carruba. The edition consists of 1000 numbered copies for sale to members of the Folio Society and 20 lettered copies which are not for sale."--Colophon.
Accompanied by: Blake's illustrations to the poems of Thomas Gray / Irene Taylor ; edited, with a new foreword, by Martin Butlin. London : The Folio Society, 1913 (originally published by Princeton University Press, 1971).
The original work by Blake (reproduced here) is now in the collections of the Yale Center for British Art (Prints and Drawings, B1992.8.11)
BAC: British Art Center copy is no. K of a limited edition of 20 lettered copies. In publisher's original brown clamshell case. Cased with Taylor's monograph (which is also cataloged separately).
- Subject Terms:
- Blake, William, 1757-1827.English poetry -- 19th century.English poetry -- Illustrations.Fine books -- England -- London -- 21st century -- Specimens.Gray, Thomas, 1716-1771 -- Illustrations.Illustration of books.Limited editions -- England -- London -- 21st century -- Specimens.
- Photomechanical prints -- 1972.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.