Bishop wood / John Dilnot.
- Additional Title(s):
- Made in Britain [Brighton] : John Dilnot, 2012.
- Physical Description:
- 1 diorama ; in box 21 x 15 x 7 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN7433.4.D45 B57 2013a Flat AYale Center for British Art, Friends of British Art FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- "The woodland boxes are partly inspired by the museum cases made to show off nineteenth century taxidermy collections .... In these a model of a natural scene is created and staged with an example of each species ... The maps serve as a pictorial background showing the landscape laid out, often with a woodland represented by tiny tree symbols and therefore a landscape can be imagined from a map."--Artist's statement.
With a printed title label on the back of the box.
"John Dilnot" and "Made in Britain" stamped in ink on the back of the box.
With a copper D-ring on the back of the box (for hanging).
Of green leaf, bird, and flower: artists' books and the natural world, p. 165
Box featuring a diorama-like model, composed of 23 cut-paper birds of different species affixed to six twigs mounted to the top and bottom of box. The background (i.e., the bottom of the box) bears a map of Yorkshire. The sides are covered in wood-grained paper, designed by the artist. The box top is glass.
- Subject Terms:
- Birds in art.Maps -- England.Natural history.Paper work -- Great Britain -- Specimens.
Artists' books -- Great Britain.