- Additional Title(s):
- Stafford, England : Jennifer Collier, 2013?
- Physical Description:
- 1 bird house ; 18 x 16 x 9 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN7433.4.C65 B57 2013 Flat AYale Center for British Art, Friends of British Art FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- "My practice focuses on creating work from paper; by bonding, waxing, trapping and stitching I produce unusual paper 'fabrics', which are used to explore the 'remaking' of household objects. The papers are treated as if cloth, with the main technique employed being stitch; a contemporary twist on traditional textiles. The papers themselves serve as both inspiration and media for my work, with the narrative of the books and papers suggesting forms. I tend to find items then investigate ways in which they can be transformed; giving new life to things that would otherwise go unloved or be thrown away."--Artist's statement.
Title and place of production from artist's website.
Of green leaf, bird, and flower: artists' books and the natural world, p. 161
"Decorative paper birdhouse, handmade from recycled Ladybird bird books. The work is created by stitching end of life books to create the birdhouse, complete with paper bird on a perch and a book cover roof! These are handmade one offs ... never identical; therefore always unique."--Artist's website.
An altered book, made from multiple bird publications by Ladybird Books (Wills & Hepworth). The birdhouse roof is composed of the illustrated boards from Brian Vesey-Fitzgerald's A second book of British birds and their nests (1954); the front of the house bears what is presumably the title page from John Leigh-Pemberton's Garden birds (1967).
- Subject Terms:
- Altered books -- Specimens.Birdhouses -- Specimens.Birds -- Great Britain.Birds -- Nests.Leigh-Pemberton, John, d 1911-1997. Garden birds.Paper work -- Great Britain -- Specimens.Vesey-Fitzgerald's, Brian. Second book of British birds and their nests.Women in natural history.
- Artists' books -- Great Britain.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.