IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Coode, Caroline, Rana temporaria , [2012?]
Rana temporaria / Caroline Coode.
- [Newcastle upon Tyne?] : Caroline Coode, [2012?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 fan of 6 leaf-shaped sheets : wood engravings ; 11 x 7 cm, in leaf-shaped envelope 24 x 9 cm, folded to 9 x 9 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN7433.4.C768 R36 2012 FlatYale Center for British Art, Gift of David BurnettView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- © The Artist
- Full Orbis Record:
- BAC: British Art Center copy is no. 1 of 10, titled, signed, and numbered by the artist in graphite.
A series of wood-engraved depictions of Rana temporaria (the common frog). Six of these are printed, in variant shades of green, on sheets of Nepalese paper shaped and textured in the form of a Canarium tree leaf (see artist's note, below). The embossed texture was provided by pressing the paper from a specimen of the leaf. The reverse of each sheet is tinted in a varying shade of orange. The six leaves are tied together (at the base) with a tassel of white string, of unidentified fiber. An additional leaf, also tinted orange on the reverse (but much larger) encloses the fan. It bears three additional wood-engraved frogs, along with the title, artist's name, and numbering (in graphite).
"The large leaf I had printed for my frog 'fan' ... is probably Canarium, from Brunei. I made the prints by rolling ink directly onto the leaf & printing onto damp Nepalese paper to give the embossing. The leaf is very thick & leathery so withstands that kind of treatment."--Letter from the artist to David Burnett, August 26, 2012.
- Subject Terms:
- Canarium -- Pictorial works.Frogs -- Pictorial works.Leaves -- Pictorial works.Rana temporaria -- Pictorial works.Women in natural history.
- Wood engravings -- 2012.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.