IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Day and Martin, Day & Martin , [approximately 1880]
Day & Martin : proprietors of the real Japan blacking, London and Liverpool.
- Additional Title(s):
Day and Martin
- [London] : [Day and Martin], [approximately 1880]
- Physical Description:
- 1 trade card : chromolithograph ; 9 x 12 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsTS1020 .D393 1880 BoxYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- "Manufacturers to Her Majesty."--Verso.
Contemporary directories record the firm of Day and Martin as manufacturers of waterproof Japanese blacking, at 97 High Holborn (London).
Lithography by Hobbs, Maidstone.
Reverse of the card features an image of a shop interior. Caption reads: "Lady: 'Would you recommend Day & Martin's Blacking?' Shopwoman: 'Certainly, Madam. Nothing is so pleasing to the eye. You have only to look at your boot and you will always see your face in it.'"
- Subject Terms:
- Boots -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Clothing and dress -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Day and Martin.Domestic life -- England -- 19th century.Domestic life -- Great Britain.Fashion -- England -- London -- 19th century.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Interiors -- England -- 19th century.Shoe-polish -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Shoes -- Great Britain -- 19th century.
Trade cards (advertising)
Chromolithographs -- 1880.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.