Walker, Susannah, 1950s modern , 2012
- 1950s modern : British style and design / Susannah Walker.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Nineteen fifties modern
- Oxford ; Shire Publications, 2012.
Long Island City, NY : Shire Publications, 2012.
- Physical Description:
- 56 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 22 cm.
- Reference LibraryNK1443 .W35 2012 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 55) and index.
After the privations of the Second World War the British embraced modern design like never before. From spindly-legged furniture to fabrics based on atomic design, and quirkily patterned pottery to abstract graphics, they wanted everything around them to reflect the bright new post-war world. This book traces the development of modern design in the 1950s, from its genteel beginnings at the Festival of Britain to the shops brimming with slick products at the end of the decade. Looking at well-known classics, popular favourites, the work of famous designers and that of anonymous innovators, it is a perfect introduction to the flamboyant and sometimes kitsch style of the decade when we learnt to love the modern.
- Subject Terms:
- Design -- Great Britain -- History -- 20th century.