Great Britain. Ordnance Survey, [Old series Ordnance Survey maps of England and Wales], 1805-1834 [i.e. 1834-1835?]
[Old series Ordnance Survey maps of England and Wales]
- London : Published April 18th, 1805, by Lt. Col. Mudge, Tower, 1805-1834 [i.e. 1834-1835?]
[London] : Printed by Ramshaw.
- Physical Description:
- 65 maps on 66 sheets : mounted on linen ; sheets 69 x 98 cm, or smaller + index.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsG5740 .O4a+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scale [1:63,360]. One inch to one statue mile.
- BEIN Covers 32 L84 1844A: Imperfect: all sheets but 1, 6, 7, and 8 wanting. Sheets dissected and mounted on linen in two pieces. Sheet 1 dated 1844; sheet 6, 1819; sheet 7, 1822, and sheet 8, 1816. Bookseller's labels on all sheets: Letts, Son & Steer ... London. Manuscript index map and sheet location on verso of all sheets. Bookplate on verso of sheet 1: Charles Dickens Collection.
Topographic series of England and Wales with relief shown by hachures.
Some sheets signed: "Engraved at the Drawing Room in the Tower ... by Benjn. Baker & Assistants."
Imprint based on sheet 1.
Later maps bear imprint: "Lieu. M. Colonel Colby of the Royal Engineers."
Some sheets with imprint: "Sold by Jas. Gardner, Agent for the sale of the Ordnance maps, 163 Regent St."
Some sheets issued as quarter sheets.
For a detailed description of the maps, see: The first Ordnance Survey map : a history and cartobibliography of the one-inch Old Series of England and Wales / Roger Hellyer and Richard Oliver. London : The Charles Close Society, 2015.
BAC: British Art Center copy (65 maps) includes all of the sheets published up to 1834 or early 1835. The set is dissected and mounted on linen, with number tags. Each sheet is trimmed with blue silk. Housed in 10 gilt-tooled full blue morocco boxes, with gilt fore-edges. Includes index sheet, which notes the sheets published at that time. The set includes sheets published in 1834 (i.e. sheets 46, 53, and 62); but it does not include sheet 52, published in 1835. The prices given on the sheets correspond to those published between 1831 and 1837. Gardner and Ramshaw imprints are present. Adjoining sheet numbers (added to maps published from 1836) are absent. Almost all of the sheets bear the Ordnance Presentation Copy blind-stamp in the top right corner. See no. 45 (page 381) in Hellyer.
- Subject Terms:
- England -- Maps.Great Britain -- Surveys -- Maps.Military topography -- Great Britain.Wales -- Maps.
- Topographic maps.
Engravings -- 1834-1835.
Booksellers' labels (Provenance)
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.