Great Britain. Ordnance Survey, [Old series Ordnance Survey maps of England and Wales], [1839-1874?]
- [Old series Ordnance Survey maps of England and Wales]
- London : Published April 18th, 1805, by by Lt. Col. Mudge, Tower, [1839-1874?]
[London] : Printed by Ramshaw.
- Physical Description:
- 110 sheets : mounted on linen ; sheets 69 x 98 cm, or smaller + index.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsG5740 .O4b+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scale [1:63,360]. One inch to one statue mile.
- Topographic series of England and Wales with relief shown by hachures.
Imprint based on sheet 1.
Later maps bear imprint: "Lieu. M. Colonel Colby of the Royal Engineers."
Some sheets with imprint: "Sold by Jas. Gardner, Agent for the sale of the Ordnance maps, 163 Regent St."
Some sheets issued as quarter sheets.
Sheet 10 has separate title: Ordnance Survey of the Isle of Wight and part of Hampshire.
For a detailed description of the maps, see: The first Ordnance Survey map : a history and cartobibliography of the one-inch Old Series of England and Wales / Roger Hellyer and Richard Oliver. London : The Charles Close Society, 2015.
BAC: British Art Center copy (110 sheets, with 3 key maps) dissected and mounted on linen. Preserved in 7 contemporary half morocco slip-cases. Sheets re-engraved in 1839 and 1840 are included in their new forms, while those to be replaced in 1843 are printed from the original plates. Watermarks on the Gardner sheets give dates between 1839 and 1839. See no. 45 (page 381) in Hellyer.
- Subject Terms:
- England -- Maps.Great Britain -- Surveys -- Maps.Military topography -- Great Britain.Wales -- Maps.
- Topographic maps.
Engravings -- 1839-1874.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.