Ordnance Survey of Ireland / engraved at the Ordnance Survey Office, Dublin, under the direction of Captain Leach R.E. ; the outline by J. Halliday, the writing by H. Grandison, the hills by W. FitzPatrick.
- [Dublin] : Published by Lieut. Colonel H. James ... Superintendent of the Ordnance Survey, [1858-1862]
- Physical Description:
- 205 maps ; each 31 x 45 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsG5740 .O4c Ire+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scale 1:63 360. 1 in. to 1 statute mile.
- Statement of responsibility and imprint from sheet 1.
Each sheet initialled in MS. by the chief engraver in bottom left corner.
Each sheet includes graphic index to adjoining sheets of the 1 inch map and the 6 inch maps included in the sheet.
Shows trigonometric stations and their altitudes; water; roads; principal buildings, with churches and castles distinguished; ring forts and other important antiquities; woods, orchards, and demesnes; boundaries and names of parishes, baronies, and counties.
Sheets numbered 1-205.
BAC: British Art Center copy maps are dissected and mounted on linen, with number tags. Hand-colored. Includes examples of both hills and outlines (the terms used to distinguish hachuring from contours). Almost all sheets bear the dated initials, in black ink, of James Duncan, the chief engraver from 1827 to 1866. Watermark dates from 1857 to 1859. In uniform half-morocco slip-cases. From the United Universities Club, with their crest.
- Subject Terms:
- Great Britain -- Surveys -- Maps.Ireland -- Maps.Military topography -- Great Britain.United Universities Club -- Provenance.Wales -- Maps.
- Topographic maps.
Engravings -- 1858-1862.
YCBA Collections Search
Ordnance Survey (Ireland), Ordnance Survey of Ireland , [1858-1862]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.