[Old series Ordnance Survey maps of England and Wales] / engraved at the Ordnance Map Office, Southampton ...
- Southampton : Published by Colonel Colby ..., Novr. 9th, 1843 [i.e. ca. 1853-1874?]
[London] : Sold by Letts, Son & Co., 8 Royal Exchange
- Physical Description:
- 110 sheets : mounted on linen ; sheets 69 x 98 cm, or smaller + index.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsG5740 .O4c+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Related Content:
- View a digital version in the Beinecke Library's Digital Images Online database (Copy 1)
View a digital version in the Beinecke Library's Digital Images Online database (Copy 2)
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scale [1:63,360]. One inch to one statue mile.
- BAC: British Art Center copy imperfect (106 sheets); lacks sheets 5, 8, 9, and 15. Dissected and mounted on linen. Preserved in 7 contemporary half morocco slip-cases. See no. 45 (page 381) in Hellyer.
BEIN Series 32 1873 Copy 1: Accompanied by key sheet, "Index to the Ordnance Survey of Great Britain including the plate published."
BEIN Series 32 1873 Copy 2: Sheets 7, 10-11, 15, 17-18, 20 and 21 only. Hand colored.
Topographic series of England and Wales with relief shown by hachures.
Statement of responsibility and imprint based on sheet 1.
"Printed from an electrotype."
Some sheets issued as quarter sheets.
For a detailed description of the maps, see: The first Ordnance Survey map : a history and cartobibliography of the one-inch Old Series of England and Wales / Roger Hellyer and Richard Oliver. London : The Charles Close Society, 2015.
- Subject Terms:
- England -- Maps.Great Britain -- Surveys -- Maps.Military topography -- Great Britain.Wales -- Maps.
- Topographic maps.
Engravings -- 1853-1874.
YCBA Collections Search
Great Britain. Ordnance Survey, [Old series Ordnance Survey maps of England and Wales] , Novr. 9th, 1843 [i.e. ca. 1853-1874?]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.