IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Ribbon map of the Father of Waters, 1866
Ribbon map of the Father of Waters.
- St. Louis : Coloney & Fairchild, 1866.
St. Louis : Gast, Moeller & Co. lith., cor. Third and Olive Sts., [1866?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 map ; 336 x 7 cm, rolled on spool in wooden case 10 x 5 cm in diameter
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsG4042.M5 1866 .R5 FlatYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scale varies.
- On label, pasted on: "Patent applied for Edw'd P. Fenn, Gen'l Ag't."
"This patent is for the 'IDEA' ... July 1866, Myron Coloney, Sidney B. Fairchild, inventors & patentees."
"Coloney & Fairchild's patent ribbon maps."
Lithographed, with waters tinted blue.
Abbey, J.R. Life in England in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 619
Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
BAC: British Art Center copy mounted on linen; in contemporary wooden case.
BEIN 2017 815: Imperfect: pull out edge of map mutilated, with some loss of text. Mounted on linen in dark blue case.
BEIN 2017 816: Mounted on linen in red blue case.
Designed as a guide for a traveller aboard a steamship. Shows distances, landings, and names of some landowners.
- Subject Terms:
- Mississippi River -- Description and travel.Mississippi River -- Maps.Mississippi River Valley -- Description and travel.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.