Ribbon map of the Father of Waters, 1866
- Ribbon map of the Father of Waters.
- St. Louis : Coloney & Fairchild, 1866.
St. Louis : Gast, Moeller & Co. lith., cor. Third and Olive Sts., [1866?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 map ; 336 x 7 cm, rolled on spool in wooden case 10 x 5 cm in diameter
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsG4042.M5 1866 .R5 FlatYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- View a digitized copy from the Library of Congress
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scale varies.
- Designed as a guide for a traveller aboard a steamship. Shows distances, landings, and names of some landowners.
On label, pasted on: "Patent applied for Edw'd P. Fenn, Gen'l Ag't."
"This patent is for the 'IDEA' ... July 1866, Myron Coloney, Sidney B. Fairchild, inventors & patentees."
"Coloney & Fairchild's patent ribbon maps."
Lithographed, with waters tinted blue.
Abbey, J.R. Life, 619
Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
BAC: British Art Center copy mounted on linen; in contemporary wooden case.
BEIN 2017 815: Imperfect: pull out edge of map mutilated, with some loss of text. Mounted on linen in dark blue case.
BEIN 2017 816: Mounted on linen in red blue case.
- Subject Terms:
- Mississippi River -- Description and travel.Mississippi River -- Maps.Mississippi River Valley -- Description and travel.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.