Extensive enlargement and improvement : James Martin, the proprietor of the above establishment, in acknowledging with gratitude the extensive patronage he has been favoued with for the last nineteen years, begs in the most respectful manner to announce, that he has, at a considerable expense, greatly enlarged and altered the premises, for the better accomodation and comfort of all intrusted to his care.
- Additional Title(s):
Gate Helmsley Retreat near York
- [York?] : James Martin, [1840?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 sheet ( page): illustrations ; 21 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsEph Sci 4Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Broadside. Above drop-head title: engraved vignette view and caption "Gate Helmsley Retreat Near York. For the reception & recovery of a limited number of persons of both sexes afflicted with disorders of the mind."
Steel engraving by Cox & Son.
The architect for the alterations and additions was James Pigott Pritchett (1789-1868), ca. 1840.--Colvin.
Colvin, H. Biographical dictionary of British architects, 1978. page 665
- Subject Terms:
- Asylums -- England -- North Yorkshire -- Gate Helmsley.Asylums -- England -- North Yorkshire.Cox & Son -- Printer.Gate Helmsley Retreat (North Yorkshire, England)Psychiatric hospitals -- England -- North Yorkshire.Specialty hospitals -- England -- North Yorkshire.
- Steel engravings -- 1840.
YCBA Collections Search
Gate Helmsley Retreat (North Yorkshire, England), Extensive enlargement and improvement , [1840?]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.