Optique no. 2 : intérieur d'eglise.
- Additional Title(s):
- [Paris?] : [publisher not identified], [ca. 1825]
- Physical Description:
- 1 peepshow (6 panels) ; 15 x 12 cm, expanding to 46 cm (extended)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV1199 .O68 1825Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Issued in a marbled slipcase bearing the title.
Hyde, R. Paper peepshows, cat. 20
BAC: British Art Center copy in publisher's original slipcase, with engraved title label.
Peepshow (or tunnel book) depicting a Gothic style church. The front-face shows the West Front of the building with the peephole occupying the central doorway. Comprised of six hand-colored, cut-out etchings (the first and last on cardboard panels), connected top and bottom by lighter paper (folded accordion style).
Accompanied by six extra cut-out images of groups of figures (as described in Hyde): (a) a baptism; (b) a priest walking beneath a canopy; (c) boys bearing a banner of St. Nicholas; (d) girls bearing a banner of Mary and Child; (e) a wedding; and (f) a priest delivering a sermon to his congregation. These figures could have been attached to panels of the peepshow.
- Subject Terms:
- Catholic Church -- Customs and practices.Church buildings -- Pictorial works.
Recreations -- Great Britain.
Etchings -- Hand-colored -- 1825.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.